Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus


An unforgettable song, surreal in the minor key as it echoes in eternity, it is real, it has a story, a story that has been lived, as the songs of the Psalmist of Israel:

Michtam of David, when he fled from Saul in the cave.
Michtam of David, when the Philistines took him in Gath.
A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him.


As a young man in London, Samuel Trevor Francis struggled with all the usual things, as well as health, but most of all that restlessness that only finds its rest in God. One night on a bridge spanning the Thames, he was mesmerized by the "vast, unmeasured, boundless" ocean in its fullness "rolling over me!" Some suggest Francis was contemplating suicide before he saw in that same ocean "the deep, deep love of Jesus, "underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love!"

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free! Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me! Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore! How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore! How He watches o’er His loved ones, died to call them all His own; How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o’er them from the throne!


O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best! ’Tis an ocean full of blessing, ’tis a haven giving rest! O the deep, deep love of Jesus, ’tis a heav’n of heav’ns to me; And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!


It is a story, yet, it seems so much more, a "prayer" to "God the Father."

No comments: